Friday, January 29, 2010

Review In Short Order


First off, I'm a sad half-a-Buck fan who has a hard time watching a full four quarters of the ever so brittle Michael Redd and painfully slow, "Big White Stiff" (Thank you Bill Simmons, ESPN.com) Andrew Bogut. Yet, for someone who puts the NBA behind the likes of the NFL, MLB, competitive eating and watching paint dry, I just pounded out over 700 pages of "The Book of Basketball" by Bill Simmons in three days.

I had to ask myself whether I actually sat in this chair and read the entire super-sized piece of literature in just under 72 hours with little to no sleep, or had I gone on some sort of drug induced bender and hallucinated the entire event. Drugs are not the answer kids, and I don't condone the use of illegal narcotics.

Jokes aside, Simmon's book is pure gold and an excellent read for any fan of sports in general and/or pop culture references. Whether or not the NBA is your cup of tea, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy and enjoy the ride that is the Sports Guy's writing.

Who matters in the NBA? What does it take to build a championship team? Do I know any good genitalia jokes? Well, all of these questions and more are answered between the covers of "The Book of Basketball" as Simmons discusses rankings, hall of famers, and winning. Never before has a book of such girth, yes I said girth, been such a page turner. From avid sports fan to full blown NBA junkie, this book reaches all audiences. Oh, and it's good for a few laughs along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment